Besides ground beef tacos with the usual fixings, these are my favorite tacos. They are seriously so delicious. They’re simple tacos with only a few ingredients….chickpeas coated and baked with a taco seasoning, an avocado and garlic puree, and some chopped tomato, onion, and cilantro. Sooo tasty, very healthy, and also a great vegetarian meal. We usually eat about 3 vegetarian meals a week, and I have to say that this is a great example of the many really wonderful and flavorful vegetarian meals that are out there. The seasoning on the chickpeas tastes amazing, and the avocado is so garlicy and delicious. We’ve eaten this meal several times, and every time I’m always amazed at how good it is.
Source: Adapted from: Veggie Terrain
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce)
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon oregano
crunchy blue corn taco shells (I could only find these at Whole Foods. Yellow corn shells will work, too)
2 roma tomatoes, diced
2 green onions, chopped
A handful of cilantro, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Spray a small cooking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
3. In a bowl, whisk the tamari, lime juice, and taco seasoning (chili powder through oregano) together.
4. Add the chickpeas to the bowl, and toss until well coated.
5. Place the chickpeas in the cooking dish in an even layer, and bake for approximately 20 minutes.
6. While the chickpeas are cooking, combine the tomato, green onions, and cilantro in a small bowl. Peel and pit the avocado and place it in another bowl with the minced garlic and a sprinkle of kosher salt. Mash the avocado together with the garlic and salt until a puree forms.
7. Serve the tacos with the avocado puree and the tomato mixture. Place the avocado puree in the shell first, to prevent the chickpeas from rolling out of the shell.